Scott began his career as a practicing accounting and finance professional in 1982. Since then, he’s had a broad range of experience that, in addition to auditing and tax planning services, includes providing expert testimony on accounting and financial matters in numerous state and federal jurisdictions across the country. Scott has earned multiple designations, including Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA).
Prior to joining Ostrow Reisin Berk & Abrams, Ltd., Scott began his accounting career as a cost accountant in the Grocery Products Division of Pet, Inc. Since entering public accounting in 1984 at KPMG in St. Louis, Scott has been serving clients in various national and local firms as an auditor, tax advisor, business consultant, and fraud examiner. Since 2001, Scott has focused his practice primarily on assisting clients and their attorneys in complex litigation cases.
Scott has testified on financial matters in conjunction with many different types of cases, including shareholder disputes, fraud, post-merger/acquisition disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, theft of trade secrets, post-employment disputes and marital dissolution. His complex case experience has given Scott three advantages in litigation support and business consulting.
- He is able to communicate difficult financial theory in “plain English”.
- Seeing how different disputes have arisen and settled has added depth to his business finance experience and understanding.
- Lastly, he knows the integral nuances of the litigation process.
Scott’s ability to breakdown complex theories also comes through his fondness for teaching. He’s taught accounting at Southern Illinois University and Maryville University’s undergraduate and graduate schools. He’s also been a guest lecturer at Saint Louis University’s John Cook School of Business.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- Chairman Emeritus of the Board/Audit committee chair of the National Children’s Cancer Society
- Board President of Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Cook County
- Board member and Assistant Treasurer of Chicago Area Council-Boy Scouts of America
- Executive committee Chicago Chapter of the National Eagle Scout Association
- Accounting Advisory Board to the School of Business at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
- B.S. in Accountancy from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville - Beta Gamma Sigma, Phi Kappa Phi & Becker CPA scholarship
- Recipient of the Deloitte Haskins & Sells “Most Likely to Succeed in Public Accounting” scholarship
- M.B.A. with a Finance specialization from Saint Louis University
Scott believes in being a big part in anything he does, both in and out of work. Scott, his wife and two grown children share many interests together and embark in them with passion. Scott and his wife share their love for the outdoors and the whole family enjoys caring for animals. Most importantly, they are all very dedicated to helping organizations that assist sick and needy children and their families.