• ORBA on Facebook
  • ORBA on Twitter
  • ORBA on LinkedIn
  • ORBA Blog
  • ORBA Google Plus
  • Client Access
Contact UsNewsletter Signup
Text Larger Text Smaller


The ORBA Restaurant Group is actively involved in sales and use tax matters for our restaurant clients. These matters include both the preparation of sales tax returns as well as consultations related to varying aspects of sales tax planning and compliance.  We keep abreast of the many different sales tax rates that apply to food and beverage sales in various state, county and city jurisdictions.  Some frequently asked questions that we hear include:

  • “We have multiple locations.  Are the sales tax rates the same at each restaurant?”

  • “Do we need to charge sales tax on private dining service charges?”

  • “How do I know if I should be collecting sales tax?” 

  • “When does use tax apply and how do we assess ourselves?”

  • “I heard there is a city restaurant tax, how do we comply with that?” 

  • “Are there any special rules for carry-out orders?” 

  • “Does my jurisdiction levy different taxes on food versus alcoholic beverages?”

For these questions and many more, the ORBA Restaurant Group has the answers. We are here to guide you through every aspect of your sales tax compliance and reporting requirements.